In the year 1890, two major streets in downtown Eureka Springs underwent considerable re-engineering. Main Street was the first official "street" in town, built in a low level gulch, alongside a small spring-fed creek. It suffered from frequent runoff problems and quickly earned the nickname "Mud" Street, hence the need for improvements. The second street in town requiring attention was Spring Street, as it was also becoming a main thoroughfare for carriage traffic. Today, it serves as the primary route for much of Eureka's Historic Loop
Portions of the remaining tunnels are available for public tour. Tours begin at Basin Spring Park on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays at 2:00 pm. Tickets are $12 per adult and are available 1 hour prior to the tour at the kiosk in the park or at the Chamber of Commerce.